Can indent guide work with placing fixed indent on columns

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:20 AM

We have a coding rule that specify all lines must not exceed a specified character number (e.g. 90 character). Before, I use to add a registry item to add a static line guide. But when I have installed the line guide, the static line was gone. Is this by design? Are there any work around to show guide lines together with the indent guides?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Text Editor]"Guides"="RGB(192,192,192) 89"

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM

That should still work fine. I use the same thing myself (through the Productivity Power Tools extension, which adds a context menu option).

As far as I can tell, the only thing that could have happened is that your registry key was changed or deleted. None of the code in Indent Guides will do that, and the static line is built into the VS text editor (it's actually an old feature that has been deprecated but not removed) and displayed well before the adornment layers are used.

One possibility is that VS ran some sort of settings upgrade with the install and the static line (which is, effectively, a registry hack) was forgotten. Again, I have no control over this. Does adding the registry setting again solve the issue for you?